RE: Word XP - page breaks causing numbering problems

Subject: RE: Word XP - page breaks causing numbering problems
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "'Maritza van den Heuvel'" <MaritzaV -at- stt-global -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:02:47 -0600

Maritza,

Last year I took a Word 1-day course. The instructor was Keith Anderson,
of SureDoc in Texas, who knows Word very well. I still don't know Word
so well, but I remember him saying NOT to use page breaks, to let Word
handle it with its automatic pagination. So somehow if you could
structure your doc like this, without using the page breaks, it might be
better. Hope this helps.

Jim Jones
OFF-SITE tech writing, editing, illustration, Chinese, German
translation, cartooning, small schematics, other
doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net

Maritza van den Heuvel wrote:

Hi everyone - I've searched the archives for all posts on Word
troubleshooting, and nothing about my problem seems to have come up
before.

The issue is this: I have a Word template (four of them, actually),
which
have been designed to enable end-users to export software simulations as
Word documents. The templates use a combination of fixed text, extensive
styles and custom tags where data from our application is inserted at
run-time. I've had a feature request to add page breaks after every
frame
and its task list (basically an application screen with all the actions
be performed on it) to improve readability. I did that, and readability
is
better, indeed. But there's a but.

The page breaks are causing numbering problems. The heading style on
Frame 1
comes out perfectly, but in all subsequent Frames (all assigned the same
Heading 2 style), a carriage return is inserted after the number and
indent,
and the actual heading text starts at the left margin of the next line!
Take
out the page break, and the problem goes away. I've tweaked and played
around, but no go.

Anyone have any ideas? All help will be greatly appreciated.

***
Maritza van den Heuvel
Technical Writer

maritzav -at- stt-global -dot- com