Re: Context sensitivity and help produced from XML

Subject: Re: Context sensitivity and help produced from XML
From: David Knopf <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: Faith Weber - ESC <faithw -at- esystem -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:26:05 -0800

Faith Weber - ESC wrote:

-Are any of you using XML to produce HTML-based help for a Web-based
application?

Absolutely.

-Is the end product of HTML-based help produced via XML still essentially a
set of HTM files (plus framesets and navigation), or is it a set of XML
files?

Yes, the Help delivered to the users consists of HTML and image files, along with associated CSS and JavaScript.

-Was context sensivity in place before you moved to XML?

We work as consultants to many different organizations, so sometimes yes, sometimes no.

If so, were there
any issues with the transition on the development side, such as having to
recode context sensitive links?

Issues like this could come up, but they do not have to. It all depends on how you set up your XML application and how you move content from XML to the HTML-based Help format you choose. Without knowing more about your project and objectives, it's not possible to predict what issues you might encounter.

Regards,

--

*David Knopf ~ Knopf Online ~ San Francisco*
mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com ~ http://www.knopf.com

Consulting & Training for Technical Communicators
RoboHelp ~ FrameMaker ~ WebWorks ~ Structured Authoring ~ XML
WebWorks Publisher Certified ~ Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT, wwp-users & Techshoret