RE: Users writing their own procedures

Subject: RE: Users writing their own procedures
From: "Lathrop, Sarah" <Sarah -dot- Lathrop -at- citigroupfundservices -dot- com>
To: "Eileen Neumann" <eileenn -at- the-wire -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:11:56 -0500

Eileen,

I was involved in a similar project at my company. We needed to get our policies and procedures online in a short timeframe. The business SMEs did all the writing and I edited them and put them online. Here are a few things we did that helped:

1. We used a simple Word template and I then copied the procedures into Dreamweaver. The writers were comfortable using Word so they didn't have to learn a new tool.

2. Each procedure had a number. The numbering system we used had one number followed by a decimal and another number (for example, 20.15) The number to the left of the decimal indicated the broad category (such as Monthly Review procedures) and the other number was the individual procedure within that category. Numbering them made it easier for the writers to reference another procedure within the text and I used their number references to create the hyperlinks when working in Dreamweaver.

3. We had a spreadsheet with multiple tabs, one tab for each of the broad categories. Each tab listed the procedures for a particular category and next to each one we used additional columns to track where the procedure was in the process. The spreadsheet was on a network drive that everyone could access. The spreadsheet kept us from duplicating numbers and it showed at a glance what was left to be done.

4. I created a short style guide, mostly of terminology and some punctuation issues. I wasn't going to do this but the writers asked for it and they used it. It helped maintain some consistency. I referred to it when I edited the procedures after putting them into Dreamweaver.

Before anyone started writing, we had a meeting where I gave a few tips on writing procedures. I still had to edit them, of course, but overall I was impressed at how well they did. When they encountered particularly complex procedures, we would discuss the best approach to take. They got a new respect for technical writing. Most of them were very happy when the project was done and they could go on to other things. It was one of those projects where we all needed to work together in order to get a large amount of documentation online. I enjoyed being part of that team and I learned a lot about the business as I read and edited the procedures.

Sarah