Re: Users writing their own procedures

Subject: Re: Users writing their own procedures
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "Eileen Neumann" <eileenn -at- the-wire -dot- com>,"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:19:35 -0500

On the upside - obviously somebody knows how busy you are...
<g>

A couple of suggestions...

First, don't place a lot of emphasis on tools. It's more
important that the procedure writer feel comfortable. A
template is a good idea, but don't let it become the focal
point of the project. Cleaning up the formatting will be
just as much a part of your job as cleaning up the grammar
and removing the numbers from steps that are not steps. <g>

Second, never ever *ever* hand a non-professional-writer a
blank piece of paper. Sit with whoever will be doing the
writing and bang out a high-level outline. Let them know
what kind of information is expected (and what does not need
to be written). Without an outline, there's no telling what
you'll get. If you can provide a sample, so much the better.

Third, make sure that you or someone less senior than the
SME who is doing the writing takes the time to test each
procedure. The more experienced someone is at performing a
task, the more they're inclined to leave out.

And last, don't expect the output to be perfect and don't
nit-pick to the writer. Just fix the stuff without comment.
Don't try to be a writing teacher unless the writer asks for
some pointers.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher