Access and html templates

Subject: Access and html templates
From: "Fong, Evid (Contr)" <evid -dot- fong -at- ngc -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:24:03 -0800

I'm considering using Access to help me generate user and administration
documentation laid out in html pages. I thought that this solution may help
me to keep up with changes in the html template and in the content of the
html pages. Here's my proposed process:

1. Create, then distribute to SME's/authors, an Access form to gather info
that will populate an html template.
2. Use Access' File -> Export -> html to create the html page.
3. When an SME/author gives me additional topics for the html page, the
SME/author only has to add the new info in the database and I would
re-generate a new HTML page (including the new topics).

Will this solution?:

1) allow me to accommodate changes to the template's topics
2) display the html page as a user document (such as administration manual),
not a spreadsheet (that is, in columns and rows).

What issues should I consider in implementing this solution? Is there an
easier way to gather info via a form, then dump it to an HTML file?

Please keep in mind:
- SMEs/authors can only access the Access form from their desktop or from
the intranet.
- Since I don't have much experience in implementing solutions/code to
process info gathered via forms, I thought I could more easily could do so
with Access than with cgi (or other) scripts/technologies for html forms.

Thanks,
Evid Fong