Re: Missing the point

Subject: Re: Missing the point
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:38:11 -0800

Goldstein, Dan wrote:

Microsoft offers three workarounds, but fails to note the obvious solution:
Don't use manual formatting! Geez...

Except that Word makes it very hard to avoid manual formatting. The UI is based around it, except for the Styles task pane, and that's a recent invention. You can hack together a decent structure-oriented approach, but that takes more programming skill than most writers have.

I do agree that MS tech writers often seem very dense. Probably they're not as dumb as they sound. They're just victims of a too-common tech pubs philosophy: if you have an answer for every question, you've done your job -- never mind if it's a *useful* answer.

I'm still trying to decide whether the author of this bit was more professional than usual, or just in too much of a hurry to see the joke:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;261186&;