RE: What I want to say....

Subject: RE: What I want to say....
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:00:21 -0800 (PST)

Interesting point.

--- John Posada <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com> wrote:
> yeah....ok...but FIRST, to be listened to, you first
> have to establish
> your credibility as an expert. I don't care how much
> of an expert you
> say you are...anyone who gets hired perm OR contract
> must prove
> themselves first. The way you do this is to do what
> the management needs
> done. Depending on how well you do it affects how
> much credibility
> you'll be granted as an expert.

So, you're new on the job. And the manager wants
something that is crap, doesn't make sense, and will
be expensive in terms of time and rework. You don't
have any credibility--do it or offer an alternative?

Shouldn't management pay the technical writer the same
credibility and respect that they themselves want?
When I go to a new job, everybody has my respect until
proven otherwise; everyone.

Am just playing Devil's advocate here ....

=====
T.