RE: LinuxWorld Show...where's the beef?

Subject: RE: LinuxWorld Show...where's the beef?
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:16:48 -0500

My problem with this approach is that it's a zero sum proposition. The
only growth is by taking existing marketshare from something else. It
then becomes a price issue. I'm cheaper, I win. Tomorrow, you're
cheaper, I loose. We're suffering under that model with IT outsourcing
to India now.

>This is what sells in the Linux world. Linux is still
>mostly about servers, not apps... so it makes sense that
>the tradeshow focuses on admin tools.

Which is why my company went to the Gardner conference in Las Vegas a
little while ago and the consensus from the Fortune500 CIOs was that
there's little real advantage for converting an enterprise to Linux
aside from running a DB or web server stuff.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com