RE: document versioning

Subject: RE: document versioning
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:10:15 -0500

Anyone on the list using SharePoint?

Aside from version comparison between two stored versions, I find it
pretty useful, including being able to access any previous version of a
document going back to .1 version.

However, here's something I REALLY like.

You can do a search for word or phrase across directories and subscribe
to that search. Then, when someone on the system either publishes a new
document or revises a document that complies with the stored search, you
get an email notification with a link to that document.

I have stored searches for all my project names. Every time a document
is added or modified, I'm notified, keeps me from getting caught
off-guard when a spec or requirement is added or changed.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com

1. Multiple versions of your document at your disposal,
which allows you to back up to a prior version should
the need arise. (Like when you open your Word document
the day before deadline and it's hopelessly corrupted.)
Also, you have a record of when you added or deleted a
feature description, etc.

2. File storage in a system that is guaranteed to be backed
up on a regular basis.

3. Mechanisms that allow only one person to edit documents
and store new versions at a time (preventing accidental
loss of work because two people are working on a file at
the same time.