Re: Profile

Subject: Re: Profile
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- ennovationinc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:52:58 -0700

Bruce Byfield wrote, in part:

> Almost all this testing is a scam. It gives an aura of science to the
decision-
> making process, and nothing more. So far as I know, there is no objective
> evidence (that is, any study done by someone who isn't promoting the use
of
> these tests) that shows that any such testing results in more suitable
hires
> than unaided decision-making. In some cases, the success isn't even
> significantly hirer than you would get by random-chance.

I've never had to take one, but have done so as amusing time-wasters on the
internet. Our whole office took one for the heck of it a few years ago, and
we laughed at the results. I think I was in the same personality category
as Caligula, Snoopy, and Mother Teresa.

To me, the idea that any company would use these tests as a critical part of
their hiring process is bizarre. The more intriguing question is: Why do
companies do it?

I think it's because these tests are a CYA ploy by some in HR. It lessens
their responsibility for a bad hiring. "Yeah, Joe turned out to be a little
psycopathic, but just look at his scores on the Whitlock-Fizzman Human
Interface test!" Don't blame me. Blame the test.

If you're in HR and use a test, it means you don't have to come to a
decision yourself. Of course, upper management might some day realize that
if hiring decisions are based primarily on the score on a test, perhaps they
can outsource a lot of HR to Calcutta.

Paul Strasser
Ennovation, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 100
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-468-1164
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- ennovationinc -dot- com