Re: Graphics in line with text (little key graphics)

Subject: Re: Graphics in line with text (little key graphics)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <amdohlman -at- uwalumni -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 07:18:28 -0800

It is an unfortunate fact of life that users, on average, are becoming
increasingly less literate, either because of a subquality education
system, immigration or overseas product exports without localization.
The old "press any key" joke is not much of a joke anymore in most
technical support call centers, because it really happens. For many
users, a picture of an Enter key and the words "Enter key" can be
very far apart on the comprehension scale. Icon images of keyboard
keys and onscreen buttons can go a long way for a user who has to
struggle to understand both the printed text *and* the bubble help
popup.

Gene Kim-Eng