Microsoft Documentation

Subject: Microsoft Documentation
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Framers List" <framers -at- FrameUsers -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:15:24 -0500

Ok, guys...here's the thing.

I'm trying to make a case for FM at my place and I was talking to my
manager. He told me that one of the arguments that was presented to him
a while ago as a reason that FM was not needed was along the lines of
"Why do we need something other than Word...Microsoft uses it to created
all their documentation, including the book published under 'Microsoft
Press'".

Can anyone point me to definitive authority that disputes that? I really
doubt that MS would use Word to create 965 pages of "Microsoft Visio
Version 2002 Inside Out" and similar titles?

What I think would be the case is that the writers work in Word to
create content, but then run that content through some post process that
creates the final output...maybe the post process is FM, maybe it's
custom, but I need to know...it may be the key to getting out from under
Microsoft Word's thumb.

Anyone?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer