Re: Microsoft Documentation

Subject: Re: Microsoft Documentation
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:29:14 -0500

John Posada writes:

Ok, guys...here's the thing.
I'm trying to make a case for FM at my place and I was talking to my
manager. He told me that one of the arguments that was presented to him
a while ago as a reason that FM was not needed was along the lines of
"Why do we need something other than Word...Microsoft uses it to created
all their documentation, including the book published under 'Microsoft
Press'".
Can anyone point me to definitive authority that disputes that? I really
doubt that MS would use Word to create 965 pages of "Microsoft Visio
Version 2002 Inside Out" and similar titles?
What I think would be the case is that the writers work in Word to
create content, but then run that content through some post process that
creates the final output...maybe the post process is FM, maybe it's
custom, but I need to know...it may be the key to getting out from under
Microsoft Word's thumb.

Several years ago, MS bought SoftImage (they do special effects for movies) in Montreal. The writers there all used FM. When MS took over, they insisted that everyone use Word. There was a small rebellion, and MS, knowing that they had met a force greater than theirs, caved. The writers continued with FM, and MS soon after sold the company to Avid. Perhaps the two events are related. (My source for this story shall remain nameless.)
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3