RE: Members Only Content on Chapter Web Site

Subject: RE: Members Only Content on Chapter Web Site
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "'Guy'" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 01:53:08 -0500

::: Some chapters make the current/newest issue of the
::: newsletter members-only, but the archival copies open.

That is an excellent idea. This way your members get the latest and all
others in the area can benefit from archives, which can be a good "rush
tool" for your chapter.

::: Have you visited the http://www.stc.org site to see what
::: THEY are restricting?

LOL! As of 3 months ago, it was nothing! There was a login prompt if you
clicked your way into their content, but if you knew the direct URL to the
page you needed, protected or not, you could get there with it...

Personally, I find very little that the STC needs to keep "members-only" as
far as content goes. I like the idea of giving members first crack at the
info and then archiving the older info for the world. But hiding content
from Joe Q. Public that isn't sensitive... That's just silly in my opinion.
Information is the STC's best "rush tool" and should be shared. After all,
other communities (free ones) such as this list, HATT, Framers, WWP-Users,
etc. all share wonderful info daily. Sure, it's mainly e-mail, but it's all
good info no matter how you upload and download it.

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com