RE: Doing Your Own Art

Subject: RE: Doing Your Own Art
From: mlist -at- ca -dot- rainbow -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:01:22 -0500

Like you, I've done diagrams, flow-charts, etc., and modified
photos and bitmaps, but I've never done free-form line art
from scratch.

Give me a sketch-pad and some pencils (and, oh yes, an eraser...)
and I'll come up with a creditable illustration... eventually,
especially if I can draw from a live model. But my sketching
technique is to lightly and repeatedly go over a line, or
to suggest folds and curves with shading... built-up shading.
I'm not the sort who can grab a pen and slam down a complete
illustration with a few bold strokes. So, even if I had a stylus
pad, rather than a mouse (ugh!) or my trackball (UGH-er!),
I can't duplicate my method of building up lines and transitions
to get a shape "just right".

What do others do, to create free-hand art on computer?

/kevin