RE: Saying "RTFM" out loud (was Everyday [was: Style question: "war d ial" ...

Subject: RE: Saying "RTFM" out loud (was Everyday [was: Style question: "war d ial" ...
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: <mlist -at- ca -dot- rainbow -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:14:49 -0500

Obviously, you don't see CS as a selling opportunity.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com

> More than once I've seen a user's question answered with "As stated in

> [name and date of document], . . . " -- in other words, "hey, look it
> up next time instead of bothering us with a question we've already
> answered!"
> Ouch. Benign-looking words, but in context they're a rebuke.

I had my company's Customer Support people trained to answer support
questions in just that [first] way.

Those who are thin of skin will take it to heart, and be too embarrassed
to make a fuss about having failed to use the resources provided.
Otherwise, they'll helpfully and righteously point out where/how the
navigation breaks down, and we'll humbly thank them, and fix it for the
next release.

Those who are thick of /h/e/a/d/ ... er... skin, will not even be able
to hear the implied criticism, since criticism could not possibly apply
to them. It's like the aural equivalent of the fovea.