RE: Legal English (was RE: Using M-dash and N-dash?)

Subject: RE: Legal English (was RE: Using M-dash and N-dash?)
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:12:29 -0500

I think what the "reasonable man" provision is IDEALLY supposed to do is
cover situations where somebody makes some really out-in-left-field
claim about what they believed, or didn't know, or whatever, and feels
they aren't legally responsible for an alleged offense because the law
didn't explicitly deal with what they believed. Since it isn't possible
to rewrite the law to take every individual into account, you have to
write it with the "reasonable man" in mind. Of course, while you can
come up with an example where that notion really is appropriate -- "Hey,
I didn't know I'd actually KILL that guy by pushing him off the Empire
State Building. I thought he'd maybe get a few bruises or something."
-- you can also come up with examples where it allows a judge to
unfairly assert that "You should have known [whatever]."