Re: Queries on Single Sourcing

Subject: Re: Queries on Single Sourcing
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: "Mark Baker" <listsub -at- analecta -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:52:09 -0500

Mark Baker writes:

Lyndsey, you do not single source documents, you single source information.

Ok, I think I get it. :-) But then it seems to me that we have all been single-sourcing with boilerplate text, data bases of reusable information (glossaries, e.g.), and conditional text long before we used the term "single sourcing". In my fifteen years in the business, we've always been able to say "for this document, get this file, and put it here."
I first heard the term "single sourcing" at the STC Toronto conference and--having seen some horrible ss'd results--I've obviously been bewildered by the term ever since.
Thanks!
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3