Re: Queries on Single Sourcing

Subject: Re: Queries on Single Sourcing
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:29:50 +0100

Lyndsey, you do not single source documents, you single source information.

Ok, I think I get it. :-) But then it seems to me that we have all been single-sourcing with boilerplate text, data bases of reusable information (glossaries, e.g.), and conditional text long before we used the term "single sourcing". In my fifteen years in the business, we've always been able to say "for this document, get this file, and put it here."

You have not quite been single-sourcing (unless I misunderstood you): Single-sourcing involves continued linking between text parts. I.e., boilerplate text - that is copied and pasted into a new document - is not single-sourcing because a change to the text module does not automatically propagate to all other instances of the text.

This is not to say that boilerplate text is somehow generally inferior - it just is not single sourcing.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de