Re: Developing 150-page docs in MS Word XP

Subject: Re: Developing 150-page docs in MS Word XP
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Solveig Haugland <solveig -at- techwriterstuff -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:03:39 -0800

Quoting Solveig Haugland <solveig -at- techwriterstuff -dot- com>:

> "Guy K. Haas" wrote:
>
> > OK -- we hear testimony that Word (with enough memory) CAN handle a
> > 150-page document. I have been using Framemaker (5.6, if anyone cares)
> > for 500-page documents. Does OpenOffice/StarOffice offer Master Docs?
> > If so, does it work THERE?

> OpenOffice.org and StarOffice also have a master document feature that I like
> better than Word's. Given the file size of Writer documents, you might or
> might

If I can play tag-team with Solveig here, I'd like to add that OpenOffice.org's
master document feature has one significant advantage over MS Word's: you can
actually use it without fear of crashing and file corruption. I'd place it
right beside FrameMaker's book feature for reliability.

Personal testimony: I'm currently using OOo's master document featurefor a
100,000 word and counting document. I haven't had even the ghost of a problem
so far.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177