Re: Best idea of the week, make that year. Yeah, yeah, I know the year just started

Subject: Re: Best idea of the week, make that year. Yeah, yeah, I know the year just started
From: Rachael Lininger <techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: Rachael Lininger <techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:17:11 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net> wrote:

>And that was exactly my point. It's a concrete example of something that
>saves the company money every day and that a rut-bound tech writer
>looking for an idea to steal could apply in other companies and other
>circumstances. That's all I was getting at.

I certainly wasn't arguing the point! I got the letter myself, and was amazed
and impressed that someone finally convinced them to do it. (We certainly
tried....)

My understanding at the time was that the fees for setting up accounts that
said the name on them were more than the vendors wished to pay: they
tend to be low-volume shareware stuff, not major corporations. I am not
sure what's going on with the way other low-volume accounts through
Paypal now have a useful designation on the cc statement. If someone
could explain why, I'd be very grateful.

The problem is, the credit card really _shouldn't_ say Digibuy. The
customer hardly realizes they've had any interaction with Digibuy. They
believe, quite reasonably, that they've purchased a product from a vendor,
either an individual or a small company, not that they've purchased a
product from Digibuy. The entity doing the credit card stuff is a side issue.
It's as though a Macy's purchase listed Citicorp (or some other random
financial institution; who knows who Macy's bank is) instead of Macy's.

This is all an artifact of the business rules for credit card companies, which
I refuse to contemplate.

Rachael