Re: Help with Pagemaker

Subject: Re: Help with Pagemaker
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Roberta Hennessey <rhennessey -at- avici -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:07:16 -0500

Roberta Hennessey wrote:

Hi. I wonder if anyone has every experienced this issue in Pagemaker.

I have been tasked with updating a Pagemaker (PM) file that then is
exported to a pdf and posted on a web page.

The logo is incorporated into the PM file by using a true type font,
chosen from the Type drop down menu. (Works similar to the Wingding
fonts.) This displays fine in the PM file, but when exported, show
the characters (letters used to get symbols) that represent the logo
only on one page - the other page location of logo displays fine.

In the distiller options, the true type font is in the "always embed"
field. I have even tried "copying" the logo from the page where it
displays ok in the pdf to where it doesn't and that doesn't work
either.

I'm baffled and I have to publish these docs. Does anyone have any
suggestions? I can't use an image file because it's not "crisp" enough.

Bobbi,

A few things come to mind.

1. Post the query immediately to comp.graphics.apps.pagemaker because someone there may _really_ know the answer.

2. Before trying any of the remaining suggestions, do a diagnostic recompose in PageMaker (hold down the Ctrl key and select Hyphenation from the Type menu, IIRC).

3. If you are using PageMaker's Export to PDF function, you should check all the settings and options to ensure that they are what you think they are. It sounds, though, as if you are printing to Distiller instead. In the latter case, or if you are printing "to file" and then distilling, ensure that the PPD selected in the Print dialog is the Distiller PPD. You can print to Distiller but have a different PPD selected, and this can create problems.

4. Open the PDF in Acrobat, use the TouchUp Text tool to select the erroneous text and, and use the TouchUp Text Attributes palette to change the font to your logo font.

5. If that doesn't work . . . . You say you tried copying and pasting the logo from one page to another. Did you do this using the TouchUp Object tool? Were you able to select the good logo to copy it, or was it grouped with other text? You can publish a single page that only has the logo on it, at the correct size, and use the TouchUp Object tool to copy and paste it. You may need to use the TouchUp Text tool to delete the incorrect copy.

6. For some reason you may have the logo hidden behind other objects (not your fault, just something that sometimes happens on complex PDF pages). Use the TouchUp Object tool and "Paste in Front" or "Paste in Back" commands to rearrange the layers and expose the hidden logo.

These are all just off the top of my head. The solution may be something else altogether.

HTH,

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]