Re: US versus UK English, How relevant?

Subject: Re: US versus UK English, How relevant?
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:18:12 +1100

MaggiRos wrote:
> In my one experience with this, I found it wasn't so much
> the vocabulary as the tone. Maybe it was sentence length
> or phrasing, or use of passive voice, or something else. It
> was not mainly individual words.

I've encountered similar texts, but what you did
sounds a lot more like editing/revising than localizing.

Overuse of passive voice may well be a more common
defect among British writers than American, but it is still
a defect, wherever the material is used.

In Australian writing, I find that the error known as
"comma splice" or "run-on sentences" is more prevalent
than in American writing. But it is still an error, and
correcting it is not "localizing."
--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia