RE: Common Errors in English

Subject: RE: Common Errors in English
From: Zola <zola -at- zolaweb -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:37:32 -0500

At 11:27 AM 2/26/2004, John Posada babbled happily:

Speaking of English errors...

Someone came from across the hall and asked about this use of the
possessive.

"I have over 9 year's experience."
"I have over 9 years of experience."

I say no possessive in either. He says yes to the first one.

Actually, I think he is correct but should rephrase the sentence. The first sentence is a shortened form of "I have over 9 years' worth of experience", and when it is put that way, you can see it's quite correct. (the apostrophe should be at the end, though, because it's years plural).

Better yet, I'd avoid it completely by saying "I have been in the field for nine years". ;)

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. We're going to try to take over the world!!" ---Pinky and the Brain

Visit me at <www.zolaweb.com>!

ICQ#2048151