Re: Common Errors in English

Subject: Re: Common Errors in English
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:52:48 -0500

John Posada writes:

"I have over 9 year's experience."
"I have over 9 years of experience."
I say no possessive in either. He says yes to the first one.

I recently asked a similar question to an editor friend. His reply was that both of the following are correct:
I have over 9 year's experience
I have over 9 years experience
I tend to go with "I have x years of experience" just because someone might think I'd made an error if I'd used either of the other two alternatives.
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3