Re: Common Errors in English

Subject: Re: Common Errors in English
From: "Mark Baker" <listsub -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:50:10 -0500

Dick Margulis wrote:

> You can argue, as you have, that the years don't possess the experience
> and that "the experience of nine years" makes no sense. I think that's a
> matter of one's point of view; it makes as much sense to me as, say,
> "the lessons of life." So let's just agree to disagree on that point.

I'm not saying that "the experience of nine years" makes no sense. It is a
normal English construction. "Based on the experience of nine years, I can
state that..." It's a little bit archaic, but perfectly valid English usage.
I'm just saying that you should not attempt to explain the grammar of one
construction by reference to another construction that has the same meaning.
There may be several structures that convey the same meaning, but if they
are common structures they must be explained grammatically on their own
terms.

Ditto for "the lessons of life". It occurs in common English usage and it
intent is clear. We all know what it means. If we can't explain why it means
what it means, tough. It still means it.

So, one less thing to disagree on (I hope).

Mark