Re: Common Errors in English

Subject: Re: Common Errors in English
From: "Edwin Skau" <edskau -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:43:57 +0530

Hi.

They're called idiomatic expressions. Those of you who've learned about
rhetorical devices realise that many of them create grammatical tension for
emphasis.

Most jazzists use harmonic and rhythmic tension to add WTFF (What The F***
Factor) to their music. Music that carefully treads diatonic harmony na
dnever syncopates is pedestrian and boring.

However, the novice is not encouraged to stray from the straight and narrow
unless they are capable of staying on top of the piece, and not letting the
bum notes knock them off.

In writing, you need to work strictly within the rules of grammar until you
develop a flair for rhetoric.

The problem is, we'd all like to think we have it, even if it is fairly
obvious to everybody else that we don't.

'Five minutes time' is as correct as 'large in size'. Time and size are
redundant.

Five minutes/large should do it.

-eddy