FWD: Quiet workplace

Subject: FWD: Quiet workplace
From: Anonymous <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 05:27:37 -0700 (MST)

Forwarded anonymously on request. Please reply to the
list if you want the original poster to see your message. EJR
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

In my current job I find myself in a rather noisy part of the office,
sandwiched between a common area, a high-traffic corridor, and the
mail-sorting area. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to
concentrate on my work, and I'm feeling stressed by the mechanical
noises and casual conversations going on around me. My manager seems
satisfied with my performance, but I know I could do better, both in
terms of quality and quantity. Apart from the noise and from being
somewhat underpaid, I enjoy my job and the people I work with very
much.

So far my complaints to my manager and the manager of HR have fallen
on deaf ears, so to speak. I'm the only writer at my company, so it's
possible they don't understand what writers need. Or maybe I'm
atypical in my need for quiet. Before I make a formal request for a
quieter location, I'd like to gather some information about the
conditions other technical writers work in. Am I alone in needing a
relatively quiet place to work? How have others (especially lone
writers like me) succeeded in negotiating for a quiet workspace? When
applying for a new job, how do writers assess the suitability of their
future working environment?

--