RE: Quiet workplace

Subject: RE: Quiet workplace
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:20:12 -0500

Cook, John [mailto:John -dot- Cook -at- camtronics -dot- com] noted:

> . After following this thread for a few days, I have to wonder
> . if I'm alone in NOT preferring to work in silence.
>
> I have to have music going to really get anything done. This may be a
> temperment thing. When we're in the car, my wife prefers the silence
> because that gives her time to thing, to digest.
>
> For me, this is nothing more than "dead air".
>
> Different strokes, and all that.

This modern era of private noise-sources allows
everyone to be accomodated.... IFF the default,
ambient setting is relative silence. That is,
the folks who need/want muscial accompanyment
can be the ones with the headphones, playing
their favorite tunes into their own heads,
without broadcasting to the general environment.

On the other hand, when an environment starts out
noisy, everybody who doesn't prefer that particular
noise must take active counter-measures, which are
rarely satisfying.
"Externalizing costs", I believe is what that's called
(for the originator). For everybody else, it's
called an increased cost of doing business.

/kevin