RE: Consulting books?

Subject: RE: Consulting books?
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <gthompso -at- svbank -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:49:41 -0600

The STC Consulting and Independent Contracting SIG maintains a good
online book about technical writing consulting. I don't know its address
though. Their Web page (http://www.stcsig.org/cic/) has links to many
other useful places.

Separately, Dan Poynter (Parachute Press) wrote a good book called
'Self-publishing Manual'. Although the book is about 'Self-publishing',
still it has a lot of good info on being independent.

Doug Florzak of Chicago STC wrote a book on freelance technical
communication and also maintains a Web site.

The NWU (National Writer's Union) maintains a Web site with some useful
stuff for the non-member, I think, as does the WGA (Writer's Guild of
America).

There was a Web site in San Francisco that seemed to cater to the kind
of writer that you are, but I don't remember its name. I learned about
it from an article in Written By (a magazine of WGAw).

Jim Jones

off-site

TECHNICAL Writing/Editing Chinese to English German to English
CaRtOoNiNg...Technical Illustration
Chinese Characters for Graphics
Other

HAM RADIO OPERATOR