Re: Promotion (was RE: IT documentation

Subject: Re: Promotion (was RE: IT documentation
From: Scott Turner <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:51:17 -0600

At 3:36 PM -0500 3/3/04, Mailing List wrote:

Dick Margulis [mailto:margulis -at- fiam -dot- net] offered:
John Posada wrote:

> If your job is to create comprehensive documentation, then
if you do it
> well, you are doing your job well and isn't that what some
promotions
> are for?
No, it has not been my experience that people get promoted for doing
their jobs well. I no longer imagine the existence of a corporation
where such a system can succeed for long; it is entirely inconsistent
with the logic of corporate hierarchies. Didn't we just have this
conversation, John?

Maybe my situation is unique, but I wonder.

According to my yearly evaluations and according to
other, independent sources, I've been doing my job
well for the 5-1/2 years I've been here, and it
hasn't gotten me promoted (the bursting of the DOT-bomb
tech bubble didn't help). Nor is doing my job well likely
to get me more than continued employment in my current
job, now that we've been bought by a company that prefers
to consolidate corporate management functions in the USA.

Kevin,

Your experience coincides with mine. After working for 10 years at my company, where I was hired in to create the Tech Writing Department, and where I was the de facto supervisor (but not really given the authority), and never given the title. I made steady increases in pay, but not in position. Oh, I was eventually promoted from The Technical Writer to Senior Technical Writer after about 6 years.

Then they sold the company to a competitor from Sweden, who bought us for the sales channels. That spoke volumes to me. No more development. They were going to close down the competition line.

So I moved on. Sure enough they don't have any technical writers in the US any more. The Engineering Department consists of two people.

Of course, the only fly in their ointment is that the customer base really doesn't want to buy the more expensive and less capable products from Sweden.

Oh, well.

Scott