Re: My New OpenOffice.org tcolumn

Subject: Re: My New OpenOffice.org tcolumn
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Solveig Haugland <solveig -at- techwriterstuff -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:40:52 -0500

Solveig Haugland wrote:

- Details to watch out for when moving various kinds of files between

MS Office and OO.o (the imperfections in the overall compatibility, in
other words)

Re document conversion problems, in general if the document is good in Word it'll typically be good in OpenOffice.org. If there are Word documents chock full of tabs to make text indent and other formatting horrors, that'll be a problem in OOo. I've got some conversion tips on page 12
(page 22 or so of the PDF itself) here.
http://www.getopenoffice.org/workbooks/essentials.pdf The batch converting tool can be useful too and is documented on page 11 of the same document. It creates an OpenOffice.org copy of all MS docs in the directory you point the converting tool to.

Solveig,

I wasn't clear in my request. Documents created in OO.o have to be opened in Office, too. It isn't a one-way street. So OO.o users need to know the pitfalls to avoid so their slides look okay when shown at a conference using PowerPoint on someone else's system, to take one example.

Dick