RE: Promotion (was RE: IT documentation

Subject: RE: Promotion (was RE: IT documentation
To: "'Mike O.'" <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:46:45 -0500

Mike O. [mailto:obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com]

> Wade Courtney wrote:
> > If you're the lone writer and the sr. technical writer,
> what is there to
> > be promoted to?
>
> President - of your own company.

It's the secret stuff that I always miss out on...

Please explain how you go from being:

- person who participates in the meetings that
decide where the products are going

- person who hangs out with the developers and testers
to get the real scoop

- person who specifies the document set and then writes it

- person who co-ordinates the reviews and gets the
documents revised and released on schedule

- person who gets paid a pre-crash salary, along with decent
benefits, to do all that and may soon have a training
budget again (woohoo!)

to being:

- all of the above, EXCEPT the last one, plus
- chief accountant
- chief/only marketer/biz-development pro
- chief/only sales person
- office manager and accounts-receivable/accounts-payable clerk
- IT manager
- etc.
- person who does not have any benefits or training budget or
paid sick leave or anybody to take the load while you try to
take a rare vacation (try answering your cell-phone while
snorkelling off Costa Rica...)

and not take a big hit in the bank account while working two-
to-three times the hours.

I know it *can* be done -- people have said so in this list --
but I don't know the details and my wife would kill me if
I decided to take the plunge unknowing.

/kevin