Re: Which image format

Subject: Re: Which image format
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:21:26 -0800

"T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message
news:231215 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Why PDF? Cos you can see it and it prints the same off
> the PostScript-compatible RIP.
>
> PS? Then you gotta fuss around and get the right
> drivers and settings, etc.

Oftentimes I've had to print to PostScript and then send that PostScript
file to Acrobat Distiller (not all the time, but sometimes when Acrobat
decides to get cranky). All it seems to take is haveing a PostScript printer
driver installed and then printing to a file. I don't think I've ever worked
in an office where the default network printer wasn't PostScript. (Home is a
horse of a different color.)

> Compression is up to you. I use ZIP compression but,
> for some, JPEG works. You can choose none.
>
> Finally, serious print shops should be up to speed
> with PDF by now. If they are not, pass them by. Evolve
> or die.

I haven't worked at a place where I've created content destined for a real
tree-derived book in nearly 10 years. Because of that, I've never noticed
that zero compression was an option; for online distribution I don't think
anyone would want uncompressed graphics.

But then, online distribution instead of printed books has been the
evolution.

> --- Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com> wrote:
> >

> > I'm curious: why PDF and not PostScript? Doesn't
> > Acrobat compress images
> > using JPG when it creates a PDF file?

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf