Re: Have you considered print on demand? Was: Re: Which image format-Clarification

Subject: Re: Have you considered print on demand? Was: Re: Which image format-Clarification
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:27:44 -0800

"David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com> wrote in message
news:231249 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
<snip>

> Many software companies are now putting the documentation on the CD with
the software in Acrobat format. Thus, the customer can print as many copies
as needed on their own dime.

I'm one person (of many, probably) who finds this annoying in so many ways.
Chief among them is that I find it much harder to read through a sheaf of
papers in bed than a bound book. Bound books are printed on both sides of
the paper (most home users and many business users do not have printers
capable of duplex printing), so carrying around a PDF printout is bulier and
heavier.

OTOH, you can print only what you need. Books can get lost. Having a PDF on
the installation CD means I can check the docs when I need something
(provided I havne't misplaced the CD too), something I've done when I've had
to configure my router.

I wonder, when a company is buying a product that has documentation only in
PDF format on the CD, to they calculate the fully-loaded cost of how many
users will be printing part or all of the docs and add that into the
purchase price or TCO? I'll bet the people selling the product, if they've
made that calculation, won't be volunteering that information.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf