Re: Adobe Search Query problem

Subject: Re: Adobe Search Query problem
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 10:02:16 -0500

Vicki Thomas wrote:

Scenario:
two files: welcome.html (welcome page for a documentation cd) and
search.pdf (linked to welcome.html, provides information on searching the
cd and a search button to activate the search)
Action:
On welcome.html, user clicks the Search link. The search.pdf file opens. On search.pdf, user clicks the Search button. This button activates the
Adobe Search query process.
In the Search pop-up, user enters search terms and clicks search. The search results are displayed. The user selects the first result in the
list and clicks View.
Nothing happens - Adobe does not display the file.
If step 1 is bypassed, i.e. the user goes straight to search.pdf and
completes steps 2-4, Adobe does display the file.
Any thoughts on how to fix this problem?

Vicki,

Have you tested this on different computers, or just on different versions of Reader on a single computer?

In Acrobat 5 (navigation path may be different in Reader or in other versions), Edit > Preferences > General.

Click Options if you are not already on the Options tab.

Ensure that Allow File Open Actions and Launching File Attachments is checked (I don't think this is your problem, but check it anyway).

Ensure that Open Cross-Document Links in Same Window is checked (I suspect this may be your problem).

If both of those are already checked, then I don't have any other suggestions, but maybe someone else will.

Note that these settings are determined by the user; you can't control them from the CD or the html page. If this suggestion worked for you, though, you should consider adding this information to a troubleshooting page for people who see the same symptoms you describe. And you will have to verify the directions in different Acrobat versions. You can also distribute Reader 6 on the CD for free. See the Adobe site for licensing terms, etc.

NEW MACROMEDIA ROBOHELP X5 - New features include
content management, multi-author support, distributed workforce support,
XML and PDF support, and more! View demo: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-15

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com