Re: Trademarks: TM or (R) ?

Subject: Re: Trademarks: TM or (R) ?
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 10:22:29 -0700

On 4 Mar 2004 at 15:07, Jeroen Dekker wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking that you only need to use e.g. Windows (tm)
> the first time I mention it, and there's no need to use the (tm) for
> Windows in the remainder of the document?
> Can I just suffice with something like "All brands and trademarks are
> the property of their respective owners." at the bottom of a document?

Typically, once you identify a registered or recognized trademark in
a document, you do not need to identify it again. However, there are
arguments to be made about what is the "first use" when you are
dealing with an on-line document that has multiple entry points. You
can probably check the archives and see different people's
thoughts/opinions on this. For the ultimate answer, I would ask your
legal dept. if you have one.

If you have questions specific to MicroSoft trade names, you can
find answers here:

Dana W.

New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as,
content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a
$100 mail-in rebate.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com