Re: My New tcolumn

Subject: Re: My New tcolumn
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:43:24 -0800

Quoting Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>:

> Time spent fixing glitches (or errors that get through because she
> doesn't notice the glitches) are a problem for her.

Fair enough, but this discussion is always framed as though glitches aren't
just as large a problem in MS Word. I've seen formatting problems between
different versions of MS Word, or between Mac and Windows versions. Even more
commonly, many users routinely alter their templates. So it's not as
though formatting problems don't occur all the time in MS Word.

In practice, manuscripts and basic business documents done in OOo look no worse
than many MS Word generated documents do in MS Word. The problems usually come
with graphic design.

> When she uses OOo to generate a PDF instead, other errors creep in, and
> that's a problem, too.

Using postscript fonts seems to eliminate any errors in OOo PDF generation. My
font collection is almost entirely postscript, and I've yet to have any

Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177

P. S. - I don't usually worry too much about an occasional typo. But to see one
perpetuated in the subject line of a thread is dead embarrassing, let me tell

New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as,
content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a
$100 mail-in rebate.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com

Re: My New tcolumn: From: Dick Margulis