Re: My New OpenOffice.org tcolumn

Subject: Re: My New OpenOffice.org tcolumn
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:10:41 -0500

Bruce Byfield wrote:

Quoting Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>:

Time spent fixing glitches (or errors that get through because she
doesn't notice the glitches) are a problem for her.

Fair enough, but this discussion is always framed as though glitches aren't just as large a problem in MS Word. I've seen formatting problems between different versions of MS Word, or between Mac and Windows versions. Even more commonly, many users routinely alter their Normal.dot templates. So it's not as though formatting problems don't occur all the time in MS Word.

In practice, manuscripts and basic business documents done in OOo look no worse than many MS Word generated documents do in MS Word. The problems usually come with graphic design.

I don't disagree with any of that. I'm just offering a scenario where someone who simply has content she wants to convey and who does not think about tools the same way you and I do is running into frustrations that might be a worthwhile topic for a column. I'm not trying to hold you or Mike O. or anyone else personally responsible for compatibility between the two systems, only asking for the kinds of tips and tricks and things to look out for that one might typically expect in such a column. And I readily acknowledge that whatever shortcomings OOo may have, it is probably a whole lot preferable to Office in many ways.

Again, this isn't a question of _whether_ it's possible to come to terms with the inconsistencies between OOo and Office; it's a question of _how_, for the benefit of the average unsophisticated user.

When she uses OOo to generate a PDF instead, other errors creep in, and
that's a problem, too.

Using postscript fonts seems to eliminate any errors in OOo PDF generation. My font collection is almost entirely postscript, and I've yet to have any problems.

And why would someone who buys a PC and installs an office suite (of any flavor) have Type 1 fonts on board? Or does OOo ship with them, in which case thanks for the pointer?

ROBOHELP IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as, content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate. http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com