Re: finally! a non-economics question!

Subject: Re: finally! a non-economics question!
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:09:49 -0700

Lynne Wright wrote:

> I'm editing a manual by a writer who keeps using "associate to"... i've
> it so many times, I can't tell any more whether its acceptable usage
> as in the following statement:
> "Use this section to associate telephone lines to access buttons."
> it always "associate... with"?

OK, just to show that I can tackle non-economics questions... ;-)

Of the two, I'd choose "with." But I'd rather not use either. Maybe
something that states more explicitly the action that the reader performs in
that section, such as:

"Use this section to assign an access button to each telephone line."

Or, depending on the direction of the "association":

"Use this section to assign a telephone line to each access button."

There, see? An action verb -- and no mention of production, resources, or
supply and demand. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant, a division of Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
richardDOTcombs AT voyanttechDOTcom
rgcombs AT freeDASHmarketDOTnet

New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as,
content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a
$100 mail-in rebate.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com