Re: oh help... Powerpoint again

Subject: Re: oh help... Powerpoint again
From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:17:30 -0800

Not sure if this resolves the lapse in tracking
that you noted, but most Windows progs have the
Redo/Undo stack (probably aka the Undo buffer) of
"actions" (for lack of a well-known lay term for
the things that are added to the Undo/Redo stack).
I've noted that these programs will clear the
stack of actions when you save the file. This
represents pretty skimpy functionality in an age
of huge cheap memory banks and disk space. But
anyway, maybe Autosave also clears the stack of
actions every so often.

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering if Save
becomes the first action on the undo stack, or if
it is a representative of the class of
"non-actions" (for lack etc) that Windows
applications do not push onto the stack. (I would
test it right now but I am reinstalling to clear
up some other horrible problem).

Someone with a Windows Developer Kit can maybe
find a spec for Undo Redo. Or you could try
searching the MSDN fweb site. Search terms Undo
or Redo could give you a good answer buried among
the outdated hits for Windows 3.1 et seq.

Ned Bedinger
doc "AT" edwordsmith "DOT" com
Edwordsmith Technical Communications Co.
http://www.edwordsmith.com
tel: 360-434-7197
fax: 360-769-7059

------------
>Now if I could only figure out why Visio 2003
every once in awhile would
>simply stop tracking steps altogether, so I would
completely lose the
>ability to undo. Talk about frustrating!
>
>Lisa

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!

New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com