Converting .DOCs to PPTs

Subject: Converting .DOCs to PPTs
From: kelley -at- pulpculture -dot- org
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:03:25 -0500

Hi,

My boss has a client who wants their policies converted to .PPT for use in an online learning application. Apparently, we have a few clients who would like this done. I normally work with Adobe and Macromedia products, and I've never had the unpleasure of working with .PPT. :) I'm happy to learn and I can't imagine that the ramp up time is going to be terribly long. Initial inspection suggests it's fairly straightforward, a matter, mostly, of applying sound information chunking principles.

How long might it typically take an experienced person to convert 30 Word .DOC pages (in the typical *yawn* policy manual style) into .PPT?

As I understand it, he's only interested in making the .PPT it look pretty with consistent styles, the client logo, some images placed strategically to illustrate concepts and generate interest, etc. .PPT. This looks pretty straightforward to me but, again, I'm not familiar with .PPT and there may be pitfalls of which I'm unaware.

Frankly, from what he says, there's a lot more work like this so I suggested that he needs to scope out the labor market and make sure he's bidding on jobs with an appropriate understanding of how much the labor cost will be if he hires contractors, as opposed to relying on me to do everything. *sigh*

Could folks give me some idea of how much you might charge for converting a 30 pp .DOC to .PPT? I'm guessing he needs a reality check.

Thanks,

Kelley

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com