RE: What's the purpose of this list?

Subject: RE: What's the purpose of this list?
From: "Martinek, Carla M" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:59:40 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Wendy Cunningham [mailto:wcunning -at- pct -dot- edu]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 10:44 AM
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: What's the purpose of this list?

Was I mistaken to think it was a place to get the support and
friendly
advice from fellow technical writers? I've only been here a week or
so
and I'm astonished at how much negativity and slamming is thrown
around.
Rather than acting like professionals interested in sharing
knowledge
and experience, many of you act like playground bullies. People with
different opinions or those who just feel a need to vent are told
they
must be lousy technical writers or don't have enough to do.

I love what I do, but as with any job (especially a new one), there
are
challenges. I went searching for a little professional camaraderie
and
perspective, found something else entirely. Thanks, but no thanks.

Bye all.

All -

I agree with Wendy in that there has been quite a lot of negativity on the
list recently. Those of you have posted to that effect, you know who you
are. I'd say that you should be ashamed of yourselves, but my guess is that
you feel totally justified in your comments and belittling of other people's
honest questions, so why bother?

There is no reason for professionals like us, who make a living with our
words, to actively criticize and condemn someone who comes to us for help.
Many of us have been in the business for years (decades!), so we tend to get
a little jaded at times, and to forget that there are lots of people who are
struggling with issues that we resolved for ourselves quite a while ago.

Wendy, please don't leave. There are more good people and resources on this
list than bad.

Regards,
*************************
Carla Martinek, Translation Coordinator/Editor
Zebra Technologies Corporation
333 Corporate Woods Parkway, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
tel: 847.793.5616 fax: 847.821.1795
cmartinek -at- zebra -dot- com

- CONFIDENTIAL -
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also
be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete
this email.

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com