RE: What's the purpose of this list?

Subject: RE: What's the purpose of this list?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:04:30 -0700

I've been on a "be nice" campaign for quite a while now. But I have to
say, there's being nice, and there's being honest.

Wendy came on with a post about how using the AP guide would actually
prevent her from writing docs her users could use; that adoption of AP
style would actually HURT her users.

I asked her to clarify.

In subsequent posts she did nothing to clarify, simply letting us know she
doesn't happen to LIKE the AP guide, which to me is a far cry from
substantiating her earlier claim.

Then she came back with this complaint: "Sheesh... thought I was asking
for support, perspective, and experience. Instead I get a lashing... "

I offered perspective, based on experience, and offered advice in support
of her, to help her not annoy her managers. She apparently considered that
a lashing.

Sorry, but people like Wendy inspired my sigline, which I occasionally
trot out when appropriate. And for what it's worth, I don't think the list
has been particularly harsh recently. It did go through a bad phasea while
ago, which prompted me to both change my posting habits and cut way back
on posting, but I still follow the list, and haven't found it terribly
mean-spirited recently. But then, I'm a tough guy.

Keith Cronin
Please respond ONLY if you agree with me. I am not interested in receiving
any actual advice, and merely want to establish that my opinion is the
only valid one to have under these circumstances. I need empathy and
validation, not solutions!

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com