RE: Follow-up to printer recommendations

Subject: RE: Follow-up to printer recommendations
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:38:32 -0500

Yaacov Garber [mailto:yaacovg -at- post -dot- com] revised his
printer wish list thusly:

> This means that the printer I am looking for
> just went from high-end to low-end. The new printer requirements are:
> Ø B/W
> Ø 1200 dpi
> Ø min. 20ppm
> Ø Print on A4, A5, Letter, transparency, etc
> This printer will be the primary in-house printer so
> reliability and low maintenance is a prerequisite.
> In the past, I have been most satisfied with HP, but I am
> open to other suggestion.
>
> Any recommendations would be appreciated

My recommendation is that you put the auto-duplexing
requirement back in.

I'd further recommend that your IT Dept. set it up with
the duplexing turned on by default, so that users have
to actively switch it off if they want single-sided
printouts.

My reason is paper. We all print huge quantities of "stuff".
I don't know about you, but for most of the meetings that
I go to in a week, I need to bring one or two document
printouts along, so that I can follow along, make my
own observations, see what other people are talking about,
etc. I also print off hard copies of most of my source
documents, and of every document (including many revs of
my own) that I edit/review/proof/kibbitz, because I work
better with hard copy and a red pen -- so do most of my
co-workers.

That's a s***load of paper, even in our small division
of 60-some people. As a conservation measure, and as a
way to cut some consumables costs, it makes sense to
reduce that to half-a-s***load. We cut our paper consumption
by more than a third by the simple expedient of making
"Duplex" the default. Only a few were conscientiously using
it when it needed to be deliberately selected. Now, most
people use it happily and don't bother to UNselect it.

Our Canon ImageRunner 400E has been a reliable workhorse
for both printing and photocopying. We also have a couple
of the smaller HP 8150s, which have been reliable, but the
400E is quicker and centrally located, and so gets the most use.
The Canon Color Laser Copier 1150 is ... well, nice to have,
but a bit finnicky. I'll probably lose it when we lose our
Graphic Design person.

All these models are a few years old, so:

a) you probably can't get exactly those models anymore, but

b) they've been very satisfactory in terms of reliability
and consistency.

We do find that we need multiple printers, because there's
always some manager or executive needing to print some
presentation or whatever for a meeting, and some sales rep
needing to print order-related stuff, while some dummy like
me is tying up a printer with a 400-page job.

/kevin

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com