Re: How to promote a Web site? (Long)

Subject: Re: How to promote a Web site? (Long)
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 01:16:37 -0500

Bruce Byfield writes:

I doubt that [sites] with a small target market are seriously effected by search engine positioning. In either of these cases, consumers are more likely to rely on research, word-of-mouth, past experience, and/or brand loyalty to make decisions. And in the case of non-technically literate markets, of course, search engine position is probably next to irrelevant.

I have to disagree with you here. It is the smaller markets that benefit most from SEO and search engine position. Those of us who have created tech-writing web sites are competing with 7 million web sites. The chances of getting a good position are much lower than they would be if we were competing against fewer sites. For example, Google returns only 107,000 sites on juggling. I couldn't care less about juggling, but JuggleNow ( has an Alexa ranking ( of 34,655, which is even better than TECHWRL's ranking of 70,883. Why is that site so popular? Because it uses legitimate SEO techniques.
In my first post on this subject, I recommended SiteSell's description of SEO. They also have a page ( that shows some of their customers' sites having a top-3% Alexa ranking. Most of these are small-market sites that have never existed off line and that get all their traffic from SEO. Who would have thought that, just one example that has an interest level of zero for me, would, out of a total 16.6 million sites on the web, have a traffic rank of 231,964, Or that could possibly have an Alexa rank of 93,841? One can only conclude that these small-market sites are doing something right, and that something is SEO.
Lyndsey Amott
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit:

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com

Re: How to promote a Web site? (Long): From: lyndsey . amott
Re: How to promote a Web site? (Long): From: Bruce Byfield