Re: How to promote a Web site? (Long)

Subject: Re: How to promote a Web site? (Long)
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:41:34 -0500

Bonnie wrote:
"The Internet is not anti-business by any means, so I'm not sure that I'm understanding you properly."
Krautgrrl forwarded your msg to me since, in an attempt to remain sane, I now get the Digest-ible version of this list.
I am not sure how well I can answer your question because I believe that it is just a hunch among network marketers that commercial sites are penalized by the search engines. It is just a hunch because the search engines do not tell anyone how they determine what sites rise to the top. The exception is Google--you can find on the web the doctoral thesis of the two guys who started Google. Even so, their ranking algorithm is constantly changing, which is why many sites suffer after a Google dance.
The internet is not anti-business. The search engines are not anti-business; they are, after all, businesses themselves. Furthermore, Google is working on a search engine tool where you can type, say, "technical writing winnipeg" and find business-related technical writing sites in Winnipeg.
But let's say that you own a search engine and that all web sites are commercial sites. You want to provide the most value for your visitors, who are, for the most part, looking for information. They are not looking for a technical writer, they are looking for information about technical writing. If you were evaluating sites, you would give a higher ranking to sites that provide what your visitors are looking for and you would therefore give a lower ranking (penalize) sites that don't provide information, and commercial sites tend not to provide information. You might also give more value to sites that have lots of links coming in, because if other people think the site is good, well then, so do you. And you might give a higher ranking to sites that link out to others because they are helping you to provide a better service to your visitors.
There are lots of highly successful, purely commercial sites on the web. These usually belong to companies that are highly successful offline as well. Unless you also have a highly successful, well-known offline business, like Sony or Microsoft for example, you have to approach internet marketing from a different perspective.
HTH
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com