Re: Can't be a Profit Center? How about Knowledge Center?

Subject: Re: Can't be a Profit Center? How about Knowledge Center?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:16:34 -0700

Quoting Nora Merhar <nora -at- helloworld -dot- sh>:

> Where I work, it's important to get it done correctly and get it done
> quickly. If all deadlines are met, the company gets a bonus. If by knowing
> the tools I can finish 13 documents to my colleague's 2, guess who is more
> profitable (and more valued)--even though it could be argued that my
> colleague should, by training, have a better grasp of the subject matter
> than I do.

It's really a matter of emphasis. A potential employer is not interested in
your tool knowledge as such, but the time and the money you can save because of
the tool knowledge. It's the savings you represent that should be emphasized,
not the tool knowledge.

That's why the job candidates that another poster complained about - the ones
who say they have boosted productivity or saved money and use firm figures -
are getting hired. They may or may not be good writers, but they know how to
promote themselves, and to say what an employer wants to hear.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com