Char. spacing (kerning?) basics?

Subject: Char. spacing (kerning?) basics?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:55:50 -0400

DaveC wondered: <<I have always used crude methods to get around screen font spacing problems, like choosing another font that looked better. Truthfully, I never understood why some characters are closer together than others, and how to fix the problem, not just avoid the symptom.>>

The problem is in the font* design. With proportional fonts (in which each letter occupies only as much space as required by its inherent width), font designers create "kerning tables" that govern how closely the characters fit together. If the kerning tables are designed poorly or are designed for a different use than what you're doing (e.g., display type vs. body text), then the display won't look particularly good.

* Here, I'm distinguishing between the typeface (the actual design of the characters) and the font (the computer implementation of that design). Some typefaces have inherent problems (see below); other times, the typeface is fine, but the implementation leaves something to be desired.

There's no way around such spacing problems other than to manually kern the problem characters or (if you've got the energy) to use font design software to edit the kerning tables. Unfortunately, kerning doesn't translate to onscreen display unless you're using Acrobat PDF. Browsers use the default kerning tables that come with a font; so far as I'm aware, you can't download a custom kerning table for use in your browser or preserve manually applied kerning in a browser.

However: <<How can I fix a font's spacing on-screen, so that it is uniform.>>

Later in your question, you mentioned that you're using American Typewriter, which is a nonproportional or "fixed-space" font. In such fonts, all characters occupy the same width, whether they're skinny (l) or wide (m). Such fonts are generally a poor choice for type display, since they're designed to emulate a typewriter, not to be optimally legible; they sacrifice legibility by including highly variable amounts of white space around each letter.

You can't really fix spacing problems with such fonts other than through massive amounts of manual kerning. But even then, the same problem arises: if you're not using PDF, you're SOL. What you can do is choose a smaller font size so that the spacing problems are minimized. Each typeface is designed for optimal legibility at a specific range of sizes; for nonproportional fonts, this range is typically less than 12 points (_very_ roughly the maximum size you could get on an IBM Selectric typewriter).

<<Currently I'm using American Typewriter, and the spacing is uneven across a single line, using basic plain 14 pt text. What are my options?>>

The best option is to choose another font. There are many fonts suitable for online display; nonproportional fonts are, as a class, suboptimal for online reading and should be replaced by a more legible font. If you must use them, pick a size that they're designed to support; for your font, that would almost certainly be 12 point or smaller.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com