Char. spacing (kerning?) basics? (Take II)

Subject: Char. spacing (kerning?) basics? (Take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 12:38:29 -0400

Dick Margulis wondered: <<I wasn't aware that browsers access kerning tables at all. Does this vary among browsers? Do they just call the OS's rasterizer for this function?>>

It's the latter that I meant: so far as I know, all browsers display type using the operating system's rasterizer (in my original message, I said "the kerning table" to refer to whatever algorithms the rasterizer uses to display type at an appropriate character spacing).

<<Bonnie Granat set me straight on that last night. American Typewriter is a proportional font that "resembles" a typewriter font in glyph shape. If you open it up in your font browser, you'll see.>>

Don't have that font installed, so I can't see it myself, but I have no reason to doubt Bonnie. I was working from memory here, and recalled a font with "typewriter" in the name that was a nonproportional font designed to do a better job of spacing than was the case with Courier. Guess I remembered wrong!

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com